How to measure typing speed and accuracy?
Typing speed and accuracy can be measured by performing a typing test, which is an assessment of how quickly and accurately a person can type a given text or passage. You can check your speed and accuracy via Ratatype typing test.
- For languages with the Cyrillic alphabet, typing speed is measured in characters per minute (how many characters per minute you type without typos). This includes characters in any sign, with spaces.
- For languages with the Latin alphabet, words per minute are more often used to measure typing speed. A word means an average of 5 characters, including spaces.
- Typing speed is sometimes measured in beats per minute. In this case, the unit of measurement is not only the number of typed characters, but also the number of keystrokes on auxiliary keys like Shift and Alt.
On Ratatype, typing speed is measured in characters per minute for Russian and Ukrainian, and in WPM for the rest.
During a typing test, only correctly typed words are taken into account. Therefore, if you make a typo, the character counting stops until you correct it.
Typing accuracy is a percentage of correctly entered characters from the total number of characters in the text.
To get a good idea of an individual's typing accuracy and speed, it's best to take several typing tests and measure the average score. That way, a more accurate picture of the person's performance can be determined.
In addition to typing tests, practice is a great way to increase typing speed and accuracy. Practicing for 30 minutes a day can help increase a person's typing speed, proficiency, and accuracy. It's also important to use proper posture and ergonomics while typing to avoid injury and ensure peak performance.
Was this answer helpful to you?
- How can I check my typing speed online?
- What is a good typing speed?
- What is the average touch typing speed?