Why should you take
a typing speed test?
To find out your typing speed and accuracy, to understand whether you need to improve something. The average typing speed is 40 WPM, try to exceed it! You can take the test several times and see your typing speed improve over time.
How do we measure
a typing speed?
We measure your typing speed in WPM (words per minute). It is a calculation of how fast you type words with no typos. We mean by the "word" an average of 5 characters including spaces. We measure gross speed in our typing test .
The test will take only 2-3 minutes!Take a typing test
Typing speed questions
- How can I check my typing speed online?
- How to measure the typing speed and accuracy?
- For languages with the Cyrillic alphabet, typing speed is measured in characters per minute (how many characters per minute you type without typos). This includes characters in any sign, with spaces.
- For languages with the Latin alphabet, words per minute are more often used to measure typing speed. A word means an average of 5 characters, including spaces.
- Typing speed is sometimes measured in beats per minute. In this case, the unit of measurement is not only the number of typed characters, but also the number of keystrokes on auxiliary keys like Shift and Alt.
On Ratatype, typing speed is measured in characters per minute for Russian and Ukrainian, and in WPM for the rest.
During a typing test, only correctly typed words are taken into account. Therefore, if you make a typo, the character counting stops until you correct it.
Typing accuracy is a percentage of correctly entered characters from the total number of characters in the text.
- What is a good typing speed?
There is no single answer to this question, but good typing speed is above this average typing speed of 41 WPM.
For example, a good speed for office workers is 45 WPM and above. This can be more than 60 WPM for secretaries.
Typing speed standards vary for children and adults:
- elementary school — 8-15 WPM;
- middle — 15-25 WPM;
- high — 20-35 WPM;
- college/adult — more than 30 WPM.
- What is the average touch typing speed?
The average typing speed for boys is 41 words per minute. Practice is a key factor in becoming a professional typist or a typist of any appreciable skill.
Let's repeat that just to make sure it sinks in: practice, practice, practice. Activity analysis has shown that people who type faster than average tend to practice 3 times longer than those who have average or below average WPM speeds.
- What is the fastest typing speed?
The highest typing speed ever recorded was 216 words per minute (wpm) set by Stella Pajunas in 1946 using an IBM electric typewriter. Currently, the fastest English language typist is Barbara Blackburn, who reached a peak typing speed of 212 wpm during a typing speed test in 2005 using a Dvorak simplified keyboard.
Sean Wrona set another record in the Ultimate Typing Championship — 256 WPM. Wrona also unofficially broke Blackburn's typing speed record, maintaining 174 WPM for 50 minutes. However, this record is not recognized by Guinness because the team did not track it.
Try to set a new typing record with Ratatype wpm test.
- Is 20 WPM a good typing speed?
This depends on age. For example, this is a good typing speed for elementary and middle school children.
For high school students and adults, a speed of 20 WPM is low. Take a typing course and your typing speed will increase.
- How can I type faster than 100 WPM?
Record holders can type with a speed above 200 WPM, so 100 WPM is an attainable goal.
The key to the success of any activity is regular exercise. As soon as you miss a lesson, you lose the time that you have already spent learning the previous ones. Therefore, try to set aside 2-4 weeks for regular training every day for 30 minutes.
- How can typing tests help to improve my typing speed?
Of course, yes! The more practice, the faster the speed. And typing speed test is also the practice.
To get your fingers to remember the layout of the keys on the keyboard as quickly as possible, type as much as you can: write letters to friends, type essays, or just pass a typing speed test.